The SASED Board of Control is made up of one representative from each of the 18 member districts. A district can identify either an elected Board of Education member or the Superintendent to serve on the SASED Board of Control. The member districts must also designate an Alternate representative. It is the goal of SASED that the representatives of the member districts to the Board of Control will be equally divided to the extent possible, between elected Board of Education members and Superintendents.
The Board of Control meets monthly at a time and place established by its own action. They establish a schedule of regular meetings for the next twelve (12) months at its May meeting. Special meetings may be called by the Chairperson or by any five (5) members of the Board of Control. Meetings of the Board of Control are governed in accordance with the Open Meetings Act, 5 ILCS 120/1 et seq.
The Board of Control oversees the operations of SASED, unless otherwise provided by the Governing Board, and its duties, responsibilities, and authorities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- To establish general policies to govern the operation of SASED and to monitor the implementation of those policies; such policies shall be in conformance with applicable provisions of Federal and State laws and rules and regulations.
- To provide housing for staff and programs operated solely by the cooperative.
- To employ necessary personnel, determine terms and conditions of employment, and approve employment contracts and collective bargaining agreements.
- To establish an advisory council, Finance Committee, Policy/Governance Committee and such other committees and/or subcommittees as deemed necessary.
- To approve contracts with various consultants, professionals and independent contractors when necessary to carry out the purposes of SASED.
- To perform all other acts permitted by the Illinois School Code and the Joint Agreement/By-Laws unless otherwise provided by the Governing Board.